Wednesday, January 30, 2008

New Technoloy and New Recipes

When I take on a new recipe I am a little apprehensive. The steps are not familiar. The ingredients are some that I question or do not know how a particular combination will taste together. There is much comfort in the tried and true recipes. Although I do not belong to a cooking club, I enjoy reading the comments and ratings that others give specific recipes. I’m more willing to make the initiative if I feel confident in the outcome. Often the thrill of trying something new propels me to take the risk.

With technology, I sometimes have the same feelings of fear in attempting to try or to understand something new. I am afraid of making a mistake or embarrassing myself. Other times I am simply hesitant of other’s opinions or reactions. Perhaps others would have approached situations in a new way. For instance, when I work with a team, they may decide to include virtual collaborative spaces and this will create a sense of uncertainty in not knowing what kinds of ideas have been successful. Also, I think that understanding the process of how pictures, music, or video can be burned, saved, edited, or downloaded may take both clear explanation and time to experiment.

This past week I witnessed firsthand how teens pick up a video camera, experiment, and confidently try various backgrounds and actually put together a DVD in a short period of time. For the first time, see how easy it is to burn a DVD and I am amazed at the speed. When I view the final production, I am inspired how creatively technology can teach and entertain! In some ways it is similar to trying a new recipe and people commenting on how fabulous it turned out!

2 comments:

roanokelibrarian said...

I agree, it is fun to try something new and it would be wonderful if they all turned out great but I have learned that I get more out of the failures. I remember the failures and try hard to prevent them the next time. If it succeeded the first time I may not remember it as well, or at all. I don't think that means I'm negative-I think it has more to do with learning while I try to correct it.
This past week our huge color printer got jammed. I had to remove parts in order to get to the jammed paper. When I went to put it back together, I had a major part left. I couldn't remember how it went in. I tried one way and the printer wouldn't work so I tried the other and the printer was back and working great.
I feel that my nature is cautious but because I find myself in the position of I do it or it doesn't get done, I have to just do it and hope for the best!

Mary Alice Ball said...

Watching children learn is always a good reminder to me that confidence is often more important than expertise.