Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Cooking Community

The one thing that most impressed me this week is how technology has become a significant part of my life. The Internet allows me to stay connected with those with my “cooking community.” A community is my personal connection and support system built by people and technology resources. In a particular situation this week, I needed to depend upon relationships. This circular network is invaluable because I am quickly able to access selected links, contacts, and information. In dealing with urgent matters, I have a sense of connectedness through the use of technology.

Technology bridges to an even larger circle of professionals, resources, and current happenings. I think this is necessary especially during times when the inputs of various chefs are needed to best understand a technique, to explain new ideas, or to create a first time recipe. One of the most beneficial aspects is the using technology does not require face-to-face interaction and can be accessed within one’s individual time frame.

Lastly, community cooking blends and fuses with other communities in order to provide even larger networks. This week I randomly moved within local, personal, and then to a worldwide connection as I ventured to explore more information. I am appreciative of the vast expanse of unlimited resources that technology can offer. Through information I am better able to understand problems and ideas, and to respond with informed decisions. This gives me a sense of empowerment because although I cannot control various situations, I realize the opportunities for learning are endless.

1 comment:

Mary Alice Ball said...

So, are you part of an online cooking network or do you use a recipe database online?