Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Mixture

Since I like to bake, I am comparing technology to that of a fabulous recipe. There are those timeless recipes that contain an exact combination of the right ingredients. They are the recipes that I can always count on as turning out well and are the ones people usually request. On the other hand, there are others that I have failed miserably despite following the directions precisely. Sometimes technology is not about a certain order of prescribed directions, but an overall picture of what I am trying to accomplish with the technology tools. For instance, using a computer does require a basic understanding of keyword searches, how to understand applications, and general set-up. For me, I think I do best if the oven (computer) is turned on, my files are organized, and I am without system difficulties. However, my reality is that the first week of class my laptop began having problems, so it needed to be sent in for repairs. There are just circumstances that happen with technology. In addition, like tonight's first assignment, I find myself getting frustrated when I follow directions and I cannot get my blog connected onto wiki.

I think one of the most fascinating aspects of library science is the unknown methods of creating new solutions to problems or thinking of different ways to bring life to a dull topic. What I am the most interested in learning about in this class are the various ways I can become more familiar connecting technology with the community. As more gadgets become easier to use, more affordable, and a daily part of life, I find myself wanting to know how I can operate them. Though I'm just beginning to truly utilize technology, my hope is that by the end of class that I have fewer flops and that I will become a technology cuisinier.

1 comment:

Mary Alice Ball said...

I like the cooking analogy, Teresa. It was only a few hours ago that I had to switch dinner plans because I had run out of a key ingredient. Planning helps, whether it's with a computer or in the kitchen.