Thursday, February 7, 2008

Modifications

Like a recipe with several modifications, technology also provides many options of adapting the same product in several varying methods. I like having options. If something does work out well one way, I can always try another approach. For instance, I tried using Gliffy this week in order to complete a diagramming assignment. At first I was thrilled with the simplicity and the overall appearance of the visual images. However, the more I tried to type and move the objects, the more frustrated I became with my lack of knowing the basics of this tool. New technology creates a loss of control. Unfamiliarity of the tool seemed to stall and hinder ideas that were flowing at first.

Learning current technology trends, updates, and latest gadgets is also time-consuming. I wonder how many people devote time to thoroughly reading manuals when they first experience new computers, cell phones, or mp3 players. Most of the people I know just “learn as they go.” I think seasoned chefs have the ability to be flexible and to transfer those critical thinking skills.
The result of my impatience was that I resorted to previous application tool that I have used before. I could easily manage and manipulate drawings and rely upon my experience. This also saved me time. I wonder how many people give up on different ways of trying alternative tools because of time and effort considerations. Technology options allow for preference accommodations and provide different routes in order to perform identical tasks or products. To me, this is like trying to decide between two similar recipes that vary only slightly by one ingredient. I almost always modify or choose the ones without nuts or coconut.

1 comment:

Mary Alice Ball said...

It's always interesting to me to observe how various people deal with learning something new - who wants to use a manual, who ends up using the manual, and who shuns it, turning to friends instead. Even though I have written any number of training manuals they are something I shy away from. I'd rather experiment on my own or under someone else's guidance.