Tuesday, March 4, 2008

#8 Persistence

Within any course of daily events or plans, I expect and anticipate various obstacles. Technology is just another one of the areas in my life that require a lot of resolve. There are 2 instances that cause me to have a considerable level of patience this week. The first is in trying to figure out some details with the wiki. As a means to correct my misunderstanding, I seek help at Wikispaces through e-mail. This person gives me information, but the same general information on the help site, and does not answer the specific question that I have asked. For instance, I do not want to change a password, but I want to know why I am not signed in as an organizer? I think the key component to assembling a project is getting the right questions answered within a prompt time frame. Needless to say, with 5 e-mails, I was finally able to explain what it is I wanted to do and I was able to see myself as an acpl organizer. It truly is the simple things in life that cause so much frustration. The positive side is that this persistence causes me to be brave about exposing what I know and do not know about technology. There is also a feeling of accomplishment when a person endures the process and is satisfied with the result.

This past month I have also been having difficulty signing in as a guest at IPFW. This has also taken an enormous amount of time and energy. My first attempt, a person working in the library informs me that IUPUI students cannot have Internet access. Since I realize this is not true, I muster up more stamina and spend an hour on the phone trying to get my password entered into the computer. Knowing that everything is properly set up, I then begin to follow Windows Vista directions. However, despite my best attempts, I am still unable to connect. I then make a trip to the IT department in person to have someone personally assist me through this. After 3 more tries, we were finally able to get me online. Technology takes determination. The same can be said of cooking. There are times when the effort may seem to outweigh the enjoyment. However, there is also a sense of pride in learning and working diligently and savoring the victorious moments when there is a favorable outcome!

2 comments:

Joel said...

I had a difficult time with Wikispaces help this week too. I did get my question answered through email, but I found it very strange that you can't very easily search the help section on their site!

Kay said...

Wow, it sounds like you are having a tough time with IPFW's system. If it helps, I went over to the library and asked for help from the local tech guru. Ask me his name next class.